Identity Theft. It's all over the news, and many people wonder what they can do to better protect themselves
from having their identity stolen. Citizens Bank is putting together a list of material which may help you to
better educate yourself about identity theft and the steps you can take today to protect your identity.
- The FDIC Identity Theft Information Page
- The FDIC created their ID theft page to inform consumers about available information about identity theft.
- IDTheft.gov is your one stop resource for government information about identity theft
- Identity Theft Resource Center
- The Identity Theft Resource Center is a nonprofit, nationally respected organization dedicated exlusively to the understanding and prevention of identity theft.
- The Department of Justice
- Information from the Department of Justice concerning protecting your identity at home and while you travel.
Steps You Can Take Today
- Shred all materias which contain personal, non-public information such as Social Security numbers, bank account numbers, or anything else someone could potentially use to steal your identity
- Never use your debit card online. Crebit cards offer buyer protections that are unavailable to debit card users.
- Register for and use Internet Banking and Electronic Statements
- With internet banking, you can can check the activity on your account at any time, any day, even when the bank is closed.
- You are much less likely to overdraw your account if you are always aware of your balance and outstanding items.
- With internet banking you can have email alerts sent to you notifying you of specific types of transactions or if your balance falls below a certain point.
- Since you are immediately aware of any unusual activity in your account, you can immediately report any illegal or suspicious activity to Citizens Bank.
- When you receive electronic statements, you receive them the day they are cut instead of having to wait for them to arrive in the mail.
- Electronic statements reduce the amount of paper used, making them better for the environment and reducing cost for everyone.
- They can be delayed or lost in the mail.
- They can be used for criminal purposes if they are intercepted or found.
- They use a lot of paper and cost more to print and to mail.
- If you have unusual or fraudulant activity on your account, you may not find it for days or even weeks after it occurred.